Johnny got his first bee sting at the beginning of March. March 4th to be exact. I can't tell you the exact date of anyone else's first bee sting, but I'm betting I'll remember this date for a while. You see, the effects of this sting are still influencing us, even now.
He was stung on a Thursday, and had quite a fit about it. I wasn't exactly sure I got the stinger out, with all the hollering and squirming. He did quiet down after a while, and the area looked okay. I heard no more about it, until after the t-ball game that Saturday. On the way home, he complained that his foot hurt and was itchy. Looking at his foot, the area where he was stung was swollen and purple/red. Uh-oh. We called the doctor who told us to put cortisone cream on it, and if it wasn't better in 20 minutes, bring him in, it is infected. If it did get better, then it is an allergy and keep putting the cream on for a few days. It was better in 20 minutes :) We put the cream on for a few days, and no more complaints.
Several weeks later, Johnny woke up with small bites all over him. Looked like a flea or mosquito got in his pj's and got mad at him. He itched and squirmed all day, and I bought calamine. He could hardly sleep that night for the itching, but did fall asleep. At 11, I heard him crying, and he was complaining he was so itchy he couldn't sleep. Out with the calamine again. Didn't help. In a state of sleepy desparation, I got out the toothpasted, and asked which bite was the worst, and started applying it that way. After 2 or 3 bites, he told me "the one on my foot is the worst". Uh-oh. Then the light went on (in my brain, and the bathroom!).
Foot is swollen and red AGAIN! ugh. After a midnight trip to the drug store for some Benadryl, Johnny finally fell asleep. We decided urgent care in the morning would be in order. (why does this stuff always happen on the weekends?).
The good man at urgent care told us Johnny's foot was infected, and gave him some antibiotics. THREE times a day, is not exciting with antibiotics. After several doses we finally got down a system and the medicine got down. I felt like a troll giving it to him on his birthday and Easter. . . . . .
Of course we had the obligatory "follow up" visit with the doctor after urgent care. The doctor we got was not our own, and was a doozie. She picked on me for letting him wear flip flops (foot is swollen hello?) and told me she couldn't really see the infection because his foot was dirty but she was sure it was fine. ummm-hmmmm. At that point I had slipped into "smile and nod" mode.
When the antibiotics were gone, we all heaved a sigh of relief. It was short lived. The morning after the antibiotics, Johnny's cheeks got red and swollen, and he developed a rash all over. ARGH! After ANOTHER visit to the doc, (this time, our own doc) it was determined that Johnny is allergic to the antibiotic he was taking. More meds for another week---sigh.
Last week we were med free and singing a happy tune. Playing outside, carefree, and then, a bee landed on Johnny's hand. Yep, it stung him. This morning, the area is swollen and red but thankfully we are not on our way to the doctor. I'm mighty glad for the Benadryl in my cabinet and we are praying the swelling doesn't go any farther.
Johnny's comment: why do bees hate me?
1 comment:
Egads! I hope he doesn't get an infection this time... and that he doesn't get any more bee stings!
Post a Comment