Wednesday, October 12, 2011

plodding along

kind of what it feels like.  still keeping on, not too many changes. 

Doctor day was actually better than I thought it would be.  Apparently on Mondays they also take additional films to make sure all the beams are still lining up correctly.  While I'm very grateful at their diligence to keep things precise, this week, I was in a hurry.  Emily had a doc appt at 2, and they finished radiation and films at 1:50.  I was still supposed to see the doc. 

Here is where it is a little funny.  I'm running around the hallways in my little hospital gown, trying to find the nurse to explain that I'm ducking out early.  Can't find her.  The doc finds me, and sweetly agrees to see me, and have the nurse follow up the next day.  We managed to get out of there, and over to Emily's appointment just on time!

Today I found out, is social worker day.  Kind of makes me afraid of what some of the other days are. . . . Anyway, the social worker showed up and said she'd like to see me after radiation.  Very nice and all, but I'm kind of getting a little irritated with this.  When *I* want to see someone, I have to call (sometimes get a referral before calling), WAIT for an appointment, and then I better show up on time.  Somehow all these people waltz up (while I'm not even fully clothed mind you) and expect me to be happy to see them.  Harumph!!

So I saw this lady, and while I'm sure she meant well, I was kind of feeling she was a little late.  Her "goal" is to lend a listening ear and help me find the support I need.  Hmmmm.  I mentioned to her that this is the last stop on this long trip.  For whatever reason, she had no idea that I've already been through a lot of treatment.  I wanted to suggest that she might do better next door, where they actually hand out the diagnoses, but I refrained.  I smiled, nodded and thanked her for her help.  I tried not to look at my watch till after she left the room :) 

As far as side effects, not too bad, but then again, I'm only on treatment #7 tomorrow.  I had to laugh at the comment "are you feeling fatigue?"  Hmmm, still feeling all that chemo, and I homeschool 5 kids.  If I weren't tired, maybe they should check for a pulse.  Wonder if I'll notice when the fatigue sets in.

No comments: