Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Another bike race, and today's adventures at the chemo-spa

So my appointment for chemo was an hour later than usual today.  What a difference an hour makes.  There were no seats!!!  Someone waiting on her husband gave up her seat for me, and someone else was leaving so John got to sit in too.  After taking my blood pressure, one nurse came over and asked if another nurse could "try" starting my IV.  This is someone who got it the first week (after a couple of tries) but hasn't been able to get it since.  Feeling brave (and trying to be a "good patient") I agreed--she could try once or maybe twice.  I was nervous I have to admit.  The best news, is that the needle didn't really sting very much going in, and SHE GOT IT FIRST TIME.  Huge deal.  I hate to talk/move/breathe when they are starting the IV, for fear that somehow, it will complicate things, move my arm, pull the vein in deeper or otherwise mess things up.  She had finished and got it taped up so quick I barely had time to express how excited I was!!  That poor vein is so used and abused, I'm really praying that it lasts.  They have stuck the SAME PLACE 9 times now for blood draws pre-chemo.  This is the "ole' faithful" vein they use almost every week for chemo too.  In fact, thinking on it, they have used it for 5 IV's too.  Please pray with me that it lasts for the few blood draws and IV's left!!! 

In other news, I was so sad that one of my friends from weekly chemo wasn't there.  Hope all is well with her.  She is a very sweet lady whose cancer has a very bad prognosis.  Each week she and her daughter are there, and they have the BEST attitudes.  Another friend was there and was having such a difficult time with her PICC line.  I could feel her frustration, and it is such a helpless feeling.  There was really nothing anyone could do, and no one to blame.  Sometimes I think blaming makes things easier to accept :)  Praise God they got things straightened out for her.  I really love the camraderie all the patients and nurses have over there.  This office has been such a blessing.  The nurses really do care for the patients there, and it is a really friendly place.  Amazing since my first impression of that room was quite the opposite. 

On to the bike race.  Really, I wasn't up for this today.  I was so EXHAUSTED, it was almost embarrassing how often I had to stop to rest.  ugh.  And of course I'm surrounded by all these ultra fit mountain biker types.  Ever feel like a little old lady?  Oh well, it wasn't about me tonight.  Here's Johnny all warmed up and ready to race!
 And here he is headed toward the finish line!!!  He told me next summer, he wants me to ride a race with him.  Ahem.  Got to get to training I guess.  I'm a wee bit far from that--remember the whole little old lady thing?
 And here's John, in the middle of the pack for his race.  I couldn't believe how many adult racers there were.  His "class" had 70some racers, and there were 2 other "beginner" classes, as well as a professional, several "super sport", women's and youth classes too! 

Coming through the pass--like the photo-through-the-fence technique?  It was called, "keep the little guy from running INTO the lake! 

It was a fun night.  Wish I had felt better, but maybe next time.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant that they got the IV in first time. Sorry you felt sooooo exhausted. Glad the bike event was good!

Love
Ruth C

Yvana said...

Nancy, You have such an amazing attitude. I do pray that your vein keeps up. I have really missed talking to you. I hope Jesse has been holding up through all of this. Blessings to all of you.