Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Number 10!

Treatment number 10 is now history :)  So happy to report that even with just a little bruised up spot to work with, the IV went in smoothly on the first try!  Wahoo!  Praying that this area heals up well so we can do it all again next week. 

Met with my oncologist this morning too.  I just get a kick out of this guy: 



He has a bit of an accent that just makes it better.  This is the one that told me that I should continue shaving my head (?!?!?!) since the hair growing is "chemo infused hair".  I smiled and nodded of course.  Easy for you to say doc, look at that full head of hair you have!  I have not shaved my head at all, and don't plan to.  As I've told others, I don't really care what kind of hair it is, it covers the bald, therefore it must be GOOD hair!

Today he was going on about how my labs were excellent, that I seem to be tolerating this chemotherapy so very well and my overall progress is wonderful.  Gee thanks!  He discussed the next step in treatment, which is radiation.  It was encouraging to me that he DIDN'T say this is something I have to have.  He said that he really couldn't say one way or the other if I NEED radiation, just that it would be foolish not to ask a specialist.  So that is what we do.  Hopefully I'll receive a call in the next week or so, to make an appointment for a consulation with a radiation oncologist (bet you never knew there were different kinds of oncologists did you?).  Please pray for wisdom both for me, and for the doctor.  I am very ready to be DONE with the "intensive" treatment and move into the maintenance phase.  I don't want that to color my judgment. 

And since I'm sharing pictures, here is the other person I sometimes see, my nurse practitioner:


This lady goes above and beyond for me.  She is compassionate, patient and really seems to care.  She has spent lots of time with me on the phone answering questions, and I can't say enough about her. 

So now you've met part of my medical team.  :)  If you ever have cancer, and I hope you never do, these are the people to see!

No comments: