It was today, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, truly, it goes till 9am tomorrow, but I had to come home--kids too squirrley and I just am not used to much exercise anymore--sad!
Really exciting/fun for me, was getting to walk the Survivor Lap with one of the nurses who cared for me when I went for surgery! This nurse had breast cancer years ago, and was a true encouragement to me in the hospital. Ironically, she cared for Emily too :) It was fun to walk with her.
The Survivor Lap was a real encouragement to me. I held it together and didn't cry, but I have to admit to crying after I got home, thinking about it. Survivors are anyone who has ever been diagnosed with cancer. We all got the cute purple shirts as well as sashes and medals! We walked the first lap.
What was so emotional for me, was seeing all the teams there to raise money--they lined the track and cheered for us. Most of the time, this whole cancer thing just stinks. The day in day out feeling nauseated, watching my temperature to make sure I don't get a fever and have to go to the hospital, being careful to wash hands/use hand sanitizer, feeling tired all the time, feeling "down" about having no hair, dreading the needlesticks and medical procedures. . . . . . sometimes it feels never-ending, as if it will always been "bad". I don't FEEL like a "fighter" or even a "survivor". Having people cheer me on was just really emotional--I have family and friends that "cheer me on" every day by bringing meals, taking care of my kids, taking me to appointments, caring for me. . . . . . There was something different about total strangers standing, clapping, literally cheering, yelling and giving the thumbs up. Total strangers recognizing that this cancer does really stink, and encouraging me to continue through it until treatment is over.
This cancer thing really stinks, but having people care is huge.
So, who's going to organize a team and walk with me next year?
3 comments:
Nancy, I'm so glad to hear that it was a positive experience for you, emotional as it was. Know that I am cheering for you always! - Angela
I'll walk with you next year!:) ( I can't even walk around the block without my youngest planting his feet in the driveway and refusing to B U D G E.) :|
You mentioned people diagnosed w cancer, doing the walk, Does that include skin cancer too? I have a 40-50% chance of getting it back. I had a scare the other day on my lip, extremely dry, scratchy, mildly scabby, etc, my first thought was ..." oh this is feeling too familiar." it went away, but is not normal for it to repeat.
Glad you were blessed, so happy to hear it went well.you are on all of our hearts here, and continually in our prayers.
Cancer stinks and suffering stinks but God will do something through you despite of it and it will all be good.
Cling tight to him, and know we are with you in this journey as you are surrounded in our prayers.
We love you
Lisa F
I would love to do the relay with you next year (work and other comittments permitting). I am really pleased that you got so much out of the experince!
Love
Ruth C
Post a Comment